Young missionary dies unexpectedly while serving in Ivory Coast
A young missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints died unexpectedly on Sunday, Dec. 19, 2021.
Elder Tshiama Anaclet Tshiama, age 24, was serving in the Cote d’Ivoire Abidjan East Mission at the time of his death.
Church spokesman Sam Penrod said Elder Tshiama was from Luputa Democratic Republic of the Congo.
He was found unresponsive by his missionary companion and taken to a hospital where he passed away.
The statement indicates that Elder Tshiama’s cause of death is unknown, but that a preliminary report suggests he may have died from an undiagnosed medical condition. It could be some time before a cause of death is known, the statement said.
“We send our love to Elder Tshiama’s family and to all those who served alongside him during his missionary service,” Penrod said.
The entire statement follows:
It is with deep sadness that we share news of the passing of a young missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, serving in the Cote d’Ivoire Abidjan East Mission. Elder Tshiama Anaclet Tshiama, age 24, from Luputa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, passed away unexpectedly on Sunday, December 19, 2021.
Shortly after awaking in the morning, he was found unresponsive by his companion. He was taken to a hospital where he passed away. His cause of death remains unknown at this time, but preliminary reports suggest it is the result of an undiagnosed medical condition. Funeral plans are still being finalized.
We send our love to Elder Tshiama’s family and to all those who served alongside him during his missionary service and pray they will feel the peace of the Savior’s love during this difficult time.
- All from US missionary group freed in Haiti, police say
- Church missionary serving in Alabama injured in a shooting
- Missionary Training Centers to resume in person
Today’s Top Stories
- Controversial homecoming dress code ends in protest
- Intermountain Healthcare purchases land near Ephraim
- Fatal crash near Strawberry Reservoir closes SR-40
- Motorhome crash in Idaho sends two Utahns to the hospital
- Officer-involved shooting kills one, sends officer to hospital
- Salt Lake County Dems call for immediate resignation of Sen. Gene Davis
- Draper City suing Geneva Rock, the mining company at Point of the Mountain
- Salt Lake City Police respond to five different incidents with weapons
- Utah homes have some of the highest levels of radon gas
- A new chance for a fighting chance against ovarian cancer