Utah fugitive facing drug, forgery charges is arrested in Nevada
MESQUITE, Nev. — A wanted Utah fugitive was arrested last week in Nevada on an active felony parole violation, police said.
On Dec. 22, detectives with the Mesquite Police Department located the individual staying at a hotel. Upon taking the suspect into custody, police noticed evidence of criminal activity in his bedroom.
Mesquite detectives were acting on a tip from the Utah Parole and Probation that James Buice Phillips, 35, was likely in the area.
Detectives obtained and executed a search warrant of the hotel room. In the search, authorities recovered methamphetamine, heroin and evidence of a check forgery lab. Roughly 90 checks had been forged and written out to the suspect, which were ready for deposit. Phillips was also in possession of a stolen moving van that was parked closed to the hotel room, police said.
Phillips was booked into the Clark County Detention Center on investigation of 58 felony counts of forgery, 27 felony counts of possession with intent to utter fictitious note, 7 counts of attempt to possess identifying information of another person, felony possession of heroin, felony possession of methamphetamine, felony possession of a forgery lab and felony possession of a stolen vehicle.
“Our strong working relationship with other law enforcement agencies helps us combat crime that comes to Mesquite through interstate travel,” Mesquite police chief MaQuade Chesley in a press release. “I am grateful our detectives worked earnestly to locate and arrest this wanted criminal before he could victimize the businesses and citizens of Mesquite.”
- Salt Lake City Metro Gang Unit arrests parole fugitive
- Police chase in Heber City ends with arrest of felony fugitive
Today’s Top Stories
- Victim in fatal auto pedestrian crash was 11 years old, investigation continues
- Hidden cameras found in restrooms in U of U Student Life Center, suspect in custody
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Utah Air National Guard Airman dies during routine deployment
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Two people hurt in auto-pedestrian collision in Orem
- Man arrested in relation to Provo Towne Center Mall bomb threat
- 18-year-old connected to Orem shooting turns himself in
- Utah’s Coordinated Action Plan for Water released this week
- Officer-involved shooting causes delays on I-15 in Davis County