Police believe ring of experienced burglars may be behind vehicle thefts in Utah County
UTAH COUNTY, Utah — Police think there’s a sophisticated thieving ring operating in Utah County. The burglars may be responsible for four vehicle thefts in one night.
Cody and Sheena Cook told KSL TV they were woken up at 3 a.m. on Sunday to strange noises. The Cooks went outside and found that Cody’s trailer was hooked up to a truck and being driven away.
The Cooks’ neighbors raised the possibility that the theft of their trailer in Spanish Fork may be connected to a string of previous vehicle burglaries in Utah County.
Police seem to agree. KSL TV reported, four vehicle thefts occurred in one night, including the trailer stolen from the Cooks. Vehicles were stolen in Pleasant Grove, American Fork and Lehi in a matter of a few hours.
Detectives said the burglaries appear to be the work of an experienced crew.
Lt. Josh Christensen with American Fork Police Department told KSL TV the thieves used tactics like quietly rolling vehicles out of driveways and away from homes to not alert homeowners or neighbors.
“They’re getting smart,” Cook said. “We just need to come together as a community and get smarter.”
- UPDATE: Victims identified, suspect in custody after deadly shooting near Hunter High School
- Apartment fire in Murray leaves one in critical condition, two dogs dead
- Independent investigation finds Moab police should have cited Gabby Petito for domestic violence
Today’s Top Stories
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Potential redesign of new Utah State Flag emphasizes Native American tribes
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- When it’s this cold, keep your pipes from freezing. Here’s how.
- Monday morning’s cold temperatures nearly set new records
- Cold weather causes late start for Logan City School District Wednesday
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Correctional officer assaulted at Utah State Correctional Facility
- Used car prices dropping but supply still low
- 10 famous Utah ghost towns and where to find them