Grantsville PE teacher accused of sexually abusing student
GRANTSVILLE, Utah — A Grantsville physical education and health teacher was booked into jail on suspicion of sexual abuse. A victim alleges Richard Craig Harrison began the abuse while she was a 14-year-old student.
Police arrested Richard Craig Harrison and booked him into Tooele County Jail on Wednesday. The Grantsville High teacher is accused of sexual abuse. He was booked on several counts of forcible sexual assault and one count of object rape.
A victim reported that she was sexually abused by Harrison during her time as a student at Grantsville High School. She told officials the abuse began when she was 14 and continued when she was 15 from 2017 to 2018.
The Tooele County Sheriff’s Office arrest affidavit details the victim’s recounting of the alleged abuse. On several occasions in the high school’s ice room, storage closet, weight room and portable classroom, the victim reported Harrison touched her inappropriately on her backside and her chest.
After each incident of abuse, Harrison allegedly messaged the victim to check in, instruct her to delete messages, and not tell anyone about the encounters.
Harrison has not been officially charged. After being read his Miranda Rights, Harrison did admit to one incident of inappropriate touching in the weight room and mentioned vaguely remembering another incident.
- Man arrested for alleged sexual assault of a minor on New Year’s Day
- USU coach apologizes for sexual-assault comments
- Weber County man arrested for alleged sexual assault of his brother
Today’s Top Stories
- Weather causing delayed starts for several schools across Utah
- When it’s this cold, keep your pipes from freezing. Here’s how.
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Head on collision reported, State Route 73 closure
- Crash in Uintah County claims the life of a 19-year-old man
- LGBTQ advocacy groups to file lawsuit over Utah’s transgender-related surgery law
- Officer-involved shooting in Iron County
- Why is there an increase of wildlife in SLC neighborhoods?
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk