Weber County man arrested for alleged aggravated assault with a machete
SOUTH OGDEN, Utah — A 27-year-old man was taken into custody Saturday following a disturbance with a machete at a Popeye’s restaurant in South Ogden, police say.
According to the probable cause statement, a male, later identified as Greg Morris was at the drive thru speaker arguing with an employee. Morris then proceeded to go to the window where the argument continued. The employee refused service to Morris and told him to leave.
Entering the business with a machete
The probable cause statement further states Morris then tried to enter the business with the machete.
The employee told authorities that she saw Morris coming to the front door with a machete. In fear of her safety, the employee ran past customers to lock the front door to prevent Morris from entering the restaurant. The victim told police she was fearful that Morris would harm her if he had gotten inside the restaurant.
After being denied entrance, Morris left the location in his vehicle. However, he was stopped a short time later by South Ogden police. He was taken into custody without incident.
The probable cause statement says a large machete was found inside Morris’ car. However, he denied ever using it.
Police also spoke with an individual who originally called police. This person told police he was in line behind Morris at Popeye’s. The individual witnessed Morris swinging the machete out the window at vehicles in the lane next to him as they traveled down the road.
This person also told police he saw Morris get out of the car with the machete and approach the front doors. Morris shook the doors in an attempt to get inside, according to the probable cause statement.
Earlier Saturday, Morris was allegedly involved in an incident at a Walmart where he allegedly chased someone through the parking lot with a machete.
Morris was arrested for investigation on aggravated assault and was booked into the Weber County Jail.
- A fire in South Ogden causes about $500,000 in damage
- Salt Lake City police investigating an overnight shooting
Today’s Top Stories
- Controversial homecoming dress code ends in protest
- Name change coming to Intermountain Healthcare next year
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Davis and Weber counties
- Ian makes landfall in southwest Florida as Category 4 storm
- The plan to build an inland port/commerce hub is on hold
- Salt Lake County Dems call for immediate resignation of Sen. Gene Davis
- So. Salt Lake Police identify victim in officer-involved shooting
- New poll suggests voters don’t wan’t to see Biden or Trump on the ballot
- Hurricane Ian knocked out power to all of Cuba, Florida officials urge evacuations
- Fatal crash near Strawberry Reservoir closes SR-40