Following a chase, Oregon police take SLC stabbing suspect into custody
SALT LAKE CITY — A stabbing suspect wanted for questioning by Salt Lake City police regarding an incident that occurred early Wednesday morning was taken into custody Friday by the Oregon State Police (OSP).
Daniel Etherington, a 46-year-old man from Clinton, was sought by Salt Lake City police for investigation of aggravated kidnapping and aggravated assault from an incident that occurred at 1450 South West Temple.
Police say that Etherington allegedly attacked a woman at an apartment complex. Police also say that during the assault, the woman’s boyfriend tried to intervene. However, police say that Etherington allegedly stabbed the 29-year-old man several times before fleeing the scene in a vehicle.
On Friday morning just before 9 a.m. local time, OSP troopers identified a vehicle of interest. It was traveling westbound on I-84 near milepost 250.
Troopers made an effort to stop the vehicle. However, police say Etherington failed to stop, and a pursuit began.
An effort to escape
In an effort to avoid having his tires spiked, the stabbing suspect turned his vehicle around. And he began driving eastbound on the westbound lanes of I-84, colliding with a OSP patrol car, according to OSP press release.
Police say Etherington then exited I-84 and traveled cross country in open fields. With the assistance of the Umatilla Tribal Police Department and Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office deputies, the OSP was able to take Etherington into custody before he crashed his car into a ditch.
The stabbing suspect was taken to an area hospital to be checked out. He was later released and booked into the Umatilla County Jail for the outstanding felony warrants in Salt Lake City. He was also booked into jail for investigation of felony elude, reckless driving, reckless endangering, criminal mischief and hit and run.
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- S.B. 174 now in effect in Utah with Supreme Court’s overturn of Roe v. Wade
- Utah leaders react to Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade
- Flight instructor, student, die in crash of USU Aviation plane
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- With Roe v. Wade now overturned, could same-sex marriage be next?
- Lawyer releases pages from Brian Laundrie’s notebook in which he admits to killing…
- Congress sends landmark gun violence compromise to Biden
- Provo Police Department asking for help solving a 2020 cold case
- Roe V. Wade overturned by Supreme Court