Reported shooter, Sardine Canyon speeder, arrested
A driver who reportedly fired out a car window toward another car and then led officials on a high-speed chase on I-15 and in Sardine Canyon is under arrest.
The initial call to police late Sunday afternoon reported the driver of a white Chevy Impala had fired “at least three rounds” at the caller’s vehicle. The shooting reportedly took place on northbound I-15 near Smith & Edwards.
Utah Highway Patrol troopers said they found the Impala and attempted to make a traffic stop before the driver and led troopers on a chase with speeds reaching over 100 miles per hour.
UHP Sgt. Cade Brechley said they made the decision to wait until they had backup before trying again to stop the driver of the Impala.
During that time and at a speed of 80 miles per hour, the driver of the Impala exited the freeway onto U.S. 91 in Sardine Canyon.
The Impala rolled after it hit spikes that had been laid down by troopers about halfway through the canyon.
Brechley said they drew the suspect out of the Impala at gunpoint. He was hospitalized and later taken into custody.
Troopers said they found four firearms inside the car, including a loaded rifle.
This story will be updated when more information is available.
- Fatal Saratoga Springs crash may be a case of road rage
- Road rage on Redwood leads to police search for shooters
- West Jordan road rage turns to threats of violence, and a gun
- UHP troopers looking for man involved in I-15 road rage incident
Today’s Top Stories
- Double stabbing sends grandmother and grandson to the hospital
- Semifinalists for the new Utah flag design unveiled
- First grade teacher in Magna arrested on felony child sexual abuse charges
- Paragliding crash in Milcreek leaves one in critical condition
- New fire breaks out on Y Mountain in Provo
- Former U.S. Attorney for Utah talks about what FBI can take off your cellphone
- Home prices in Salt Lake City harbinger of a national trend?
- Crash in Vernon closes Highway 36
- BYU student and youngest-ever Survivor contestant says he’s confident he will win
- Be on lookout for suspicious vehicle in Nephi