Provo man arrested after reportedly trying to steal infant from car
PROVO, Utah — A 51-year-old man has been arrested after after police say he attempted to steal a baby girl from parked car.
KSL.com cites a police report, saying Emilio Lopez Bernal approached the car that was parked in a driveway and opened the backdoor. He then told the two women sitting in the car to give him the baby.
One of the women screamed at Bernal, telling him to get away from the car. Bernal then reportedly reached for the girl but one of the women grabbed her and ran into her home to call the police.
Bernal was questioned and then apprehended by police.
In the arrest report, police noted that Bernal continuously changed his story and engaged in conversation with someone next to him that wasn’t actually there. It was suspected that Bernal was suffering from a mental illness or drug-induced issue.
Bernal was charged with a DUI last year after driving with methamphetamine in his system. He also had warrants out for his arrest at the time of the attempted kidnapping. These warrants were for failing to show up to Utah County Justice Court regarding two traffic violation cases.
Today’s Top Stories
- Elk, again, tried to cross roads near I-215/I-80 interchange in SLC
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- One person killed in wrong-way head-on collision on I-15 near Beck Street
- Suspect arrested, one victim identified after shooting in Taylorsville
- Tom Brady announces retirement: ‘I’m retiring for good’
- Potential redesign of new Utah State Flag emphasizes Native American tribes
- Alpine schools investigating “suspicious” computer activity
- Cold weather causes late start for Logan City School District Wednesday
- Missing radioactive capsule from Rio Tinto mine found on Australian road
- Correctional officer assaulted at Utah State Correctional Facility