CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Man taken into custody for allegedly shooting a 13-year-old with a BB gun
LEHI, Utah — A Lehi man has been taken into custody by Lehi police for allegedly shooting a 13-year-old girl with a BB gun in an incident on March 31.
According to the possible cause statement, the girl was attempting to speak with the individual who could have possibly damaged her friend’s bicycle.
Police say that when the girl knocked on the suspect’s door, he had a cigarette in his mouth and what appeared to be a gun that was pointed toward her. According to probable cause statement, the suspect, who has been identified as James Davis, 50, said he was going to shoot her, while uttering vulgar language at her.
The girl then told police that she ran in a zig-zag motion, as she was taught when she was young, to avoid being hit. When police asked her about the gun, the girl said it looked like one that belonged to her grandfather.
In the probable cause statement, the girl told police in an effort to escape, “she never ran faster in her life.”
Struck by a BB gun
According to the probable cause statement, the girl told police that she was shot at twice and was hit in the thigh by a small, round object. Police also say that they noticed a welt on her thigh that would be the size of a BB. Police were also provided with proof of bruising on the back of her thigh.
The girl also explained to police that where she was hit, it hurt so much that after sitting down for a short time she would have to stand back up.
According to police, witnesses also informed authorities they found BBs on the ground outside the door of the suspect’s home.
Police say when confronted about the incident, Davis denied any involvement. According to the probable cause statement, he was unwilling to give consent to police to search his apartment or vehicle for an item that looked like a gun.
An AP&P agent was brought into the investigation and discussed the matter with Davis. Police say after the conversation with the agent, Davis consented to the search.
After a search of the home, police found a BB gun matching the description that had been provided by the victim.
According to police, Davis was a restricted person on parole at the time he was taken into custody.
Davis has been booked into the Utah County Jail under investigation for aggravated assault and possession of a weapon by a restricted person. Both are third-degree felonies.
- Lehi police search for suspects in overnight car chase, one is on foot
- Lehi man arrested after barricading and shooting at police
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Lawyers of man who lost lawsuit against Gwyneth Paltrow may try for new trial
- Meteorologist says only a couple more weeks of snow and rain
- Alta wins the race to 800 inches, more snow expected Friday afternoon
- Utah company with ties to polygamous group cited for violating child labor laws
- The search for the caller behind Utah’s 13 school hoaxes
- Former President Trump was indicted Thursday, what it means
- Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square will be joined by international singers this weekend
- Hear it Firsthand: 6 Students Share Their Executive MBA Experience at BYU’s Marriott School…
- As the snow melts, cases of canine giardia can increase
- Arrest made after fatal Logan Canyon crash