Huntsville home a total loss after overnight fire that began in the chimney
HUNTSVILLE, Utah — A chimney fire is believed to be the cause of a fire that destroyed a home in Huntsville early Wednesday morning.
Multiple units were dispatched to the fire at approximately 12:30 a.m., and upon arrival, they found the single-family home heavily involved in the fire.
The family was safely evacuated and crews were able to extinguish the fire without injury.
First responders from the Weber Fire District, as well as Ogden, South Ogden, Mountain Green Fire Departments, and the Weber County Sheriff’s Office all responded to the scene of the fire
Deputy Chief David Reed with the Weber Fire District said that chimneys have to be cleaned to keep them safe.
“If they don’t get cleaned regularly, creosote will build up in them, and over time the wood — even if it’s installed properly — will pyrolyze, and the fire gets really really hot when that creosote gets lit and then it burns into the structure,” Reed said.
“The best thing you can do with a chimney,” Reed said, “is keep it clean.”
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Additional sex charges filed against Utah businessman; more victims possible
- Multiple Utah schools received fake reports of school shooting, officials say
- Three people killed in two-vehicle crash on US-89 in Logan Canyon
- Nine soldiers killed after Army helicopters crash in Kentucky
- Former police chief discusses how police respond to copycat situations
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- Alpine School District exploring potential closure of 5 elementary schools
- U.S. Department of Labor says Sodalicious violated child labor laws
- Utah’s online marriage licensing gets attention all over the world
- Gwyneth Paltrow’s ski collision trial continues with defense