EDUCATION + SCHOOLS
Draper officials oppose creation of a new school district
SALT LAKE CITY — The Mayor of Draper and the Draper City Council say they do not support a school district split proposed by a group of Draper residents.
The residents want to create a new school district that lies only within Draper City boundaries which would require a break from the Canyons School District. In a post on Facebook, Draper Mayor Troy K. Walker said the ability to offer a good education is important for the city.
“We are grateful to the Canyon School District for serving our community with distinction and we are grateful to have a strong, collaborative relationship that makes our community stronger,” Mayor Troy K. Walker.
The Mayor used the Facebook post to indicate that neither he nor the Draper City Council has legal authority over schools or their operations.
Utah law allows city governing bodies to place issues like the creation of local school districts on the ballot for city voters. However, the Draper City Council has no obligation to do so.
Walker said that the feedback he’s received from residents is overwhelmingly opposed to a new school district. Additionally, the issue won’t be placed on any future agenda.
The Draper citizens that want a new district have a different path to take in the citizen initiative petition process, which is administered by Salt Lake County.
- Orem school district creation hits a bump in the road
- Draper Park Middle School student uses SafeUT app to report gun on campus
- UPDATED: 2 dead after shooting at Draper party
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Gwyneth Paltrow ski crash trial begins in Park City, lawyer calls it “B.S.”
- UHP: Three people dead in two-vehicle crash in Kane County
- D2 gets to the bottom of the impending arrest of former President Trump
- Death penalty off the table for Lori Vallow Daybell
- Utah Flooding: How to prevent and mitigate the risk
- USU grad files lawsuit against university for racist caricature
- Home prices are down and so are the size of apartments
- Utah Rivers Council selling discounted rain barrels as effort toward water conservation
- 16-year-old dead, 2 other teens injured in fatal crash in Juab County
- Brighton hits a milestone with 700 inches of snow