Utahns will make their choices at this weekend’s 2022 Nominating Conventions
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Republicans and Democrats hold their state nominating conventions this weekend. On the Republican side, three candidates — Sen. Mike Lee, Ally Isom, and Becky Edwards — have already qualified for the primary election by gathering the necessary number of signatures.
(You can hear our pre-convention interviews from Isom, Edwards, and Lee below)
Becky Edwards interview on Utah’s Morning News:
Sen. Mike Lee’s interview on Utah’s Morning News:
The Republican convention will be held at the Mountain American Expo Center in Sandy. The Democratic nominating convention will be held at Cottonwood High School.
Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) has six GOP Senate challengers to contend with at this convention, including Ally Isom, Laird Fetzer Hamblin, Evan Barlow, Loy Brunson, Jeremy Friedbaum, and Becky Edwards.
Utah Democrats are also holding their nominating convention this weekend. They have to decide whether to nominate their own party’s candidate, Kael Weston, for the Senate.
Some party leaders say independent candidate Evan McMullin is in a better position to beat Sen. Mike Lee.
Today’s Top Stories
- One person dead in three-vehicle crash in southern Utah
- State of Utah files lawsuit against pharmaceutical retailers
- Herriman mother saved by off-duty police officer
- Husband of Bluffdale mayor faces charges threatening city councilman
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- WB I-80 shut down after a crash between two semis and a Utah Highway Patrol car
- Wordle, the easy online word game that’s easy to love
- 8-year-old boy struck by car in Riverton, suffers head injury