17-year-old arrested for kidnapping 12-year-old
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah County Sheriff’s Office said it arrested a 17-year-old boy after finding a kidnapped 12-year-old in his car. The 17-year-old was taken to the Slate Canyon Youth Detention Center.
The sheriff’s office said the arrest occurred after a Utah County Lieutenant driving down Main Street in Spanish Fork spotted a car parked at a business that was closed.
The car had its lights on and was not parked properly in a parking stall.
The lieutenant continued driving south, and then noticed the car in question driving north. It was reportedly traveling 60 mph in a 40 mph zone, so the lieutenant initiated a traffic stop.
Police said that the lieutenant spoke to the driver and passenger, who gave conflicting stories. Eventually, the lieutenant learned that the boy was 17 and from Salt Lake County and that the girl was 12 and from Utah County.
The sheriff’s office said that it learned through its investigation that the two minors met on social media. They had been interacting online for several months.
Investigators learned that the boy somehow found out the girl’s address and picked her up there sometime before 5:00 a.m. Tuesday. The two drove around, stopping at several locations.
The sheriff’s office said that when the two stopped at the closed Spanish Fork business, the boy sexually assaulted the girl.
The car driven by the 17-year-old boy was stolen from a Salt Lake County home, police said.
The 17-year-old was taken in on suspicion of multiple offenses including kidnapping, car theft, and obstruction of justice.
Spanish Fork Police said it was investigating the sexual assault.
Today’s Top Stories
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Staff member at school in southern Utah arrested for alleged sexual abuse
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Salt Lake City Police Department hosts holiday Pay-it-Forward event
- Fire in West Valley City home contained to one room in basement
- Suspect in I-15 shooting named, booked into jail
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral