Broad outdoor recreation bill moving through U.S. Senate
SALT LAKE CITY — A bill, with a long list of management changes to recreation on public lands, is finding support in the U.S. Senate. Sponsor Joe Manchin (D-WV) calls it “America’s Outdoor Recreation Act of 2022.”
He said it will help rural economies that depend on the recreational use of public land. This includes gateway towns near national parks.
Furthermore, Pitt Grew who is heading Utah’s new Division of Outdoor Recreation, said each of those communities has its own needs. They range from housing support to high-speed internet service.
“The thing is, every gateway community is different,” Grewe told KSL NewsRadio. “There’s not a one-size-fits-all answer to support communities that have a big recreation economy or tourism economy.”
Grewe is hoping the bill will make business operations easier near national parks and forests and other recreation destinations.
“Streamlining the processes for permitting, for guides and outfitters, or permission to do things on public lands from a commercial sense,” Grewe said.
Critics worry the bill could increase visitors
Critics of the bill include the National Parks and Conservation Association. The Deseret News reports they’re concerned the bill could increase the number of visitors to national parks without providing more resources for park staff.
The bill passed the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee on a bipartisan, unanimous vote. While it includes no specific funding for its provisions, Grewe is optimistic it will get the support it needs.
“Recreation is typically not a partisan issue,” he said. “It’s something that both ends of the table can get behind.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Schools, commute delayed by early morning lake effect snow
- Vail Resorts facing million dollar lawsuit after a Utah bowling alley incident
- Church announces locations for six previously announced temples
- Tracking snowplows in SLC
- Snow storm brings highly dangerous avalanche conditions
- State intends to appeal vacated death sentence of Utah man
- Pence says Trump was ‘wrong’ for dinner with Holocaust denier
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Native tribes of Utah are given their chance to offer historical perspectives on museum artifacts
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success