Motorcyclist found dead in Maple Canyon after difficult weather
MAPLE CANYON, Utah — Utah County Search and Rescue has recovered the body of a man reported missing by his family on Sunday night.
A call came in from a worried family
Utah County Sheriff’s Search and Rescue began searching on Sunday for a 65-year-old man who had reportedly ridden his motorcycle up Maple Canyon.
Sgt. Spencer Cannon said that the motorcyclist last contacted his family at around 8 p.m. on Sunday.
Cannon said the man’s motorcycle had gotten stuck in the snow and he contacted family for help. After this, family members went to meet him but were unable to get ahold of him, so they called dispatch.
Weather conditions in Maple Canyon
@UCSO_SAR responded about 9:40 PM Sunday to find a 65 year old man who rode his motorcycle up Maple Canyon, east of Mapleton, around 2:00 PM yesterday. Motorcycle found at 8,200’ elevation but he has not been found yet. Near whiteout conditions preventing air support. pic.twitter.com/BgThj69YbH
— Utah County Sheriff (@UCSO) May 9, 2022
“Weather was a problem last night so we couldn’t get any aircraft up to help in the search from the air,” Cannon said.
“We did have search and rescue team members who hiked up the mountain and they found the motorcycle and found some of the equipment you would expect to see with the motorcycle but couldn’t find him.”
Cannon said the Search and Rescue team took a break for a few hours in the early morning. He said “near whiteout conditions” forced them off the mountain. Other factors that made this a tricky operation, Cannon said, were difficult terrain and difficult weather.
Other contributing factors were that the man’s cellphone had died and he had a medical condition.
@UTNationalGuard UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter and crew members on the scene working with @UCSO Search and Rescue and @UtahDPS searching for missing motorcyclist near Mapleton Canyon.#Alwaysthere pic.twitter.com/dnvuMvrOKx
— Utah National Guard (@UTNationalGuard) May 9, 2022
An investigation continues into the manner of death, but officials say they don’t suspect foul play.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Additional sex charges filed against Utah businessman; more victims possible
- Three people killed in two-vehicle crash on US-89 in Logan Canyon
- Multiple Utah schools received fake reports of school shooting, officials say
- Alpine School District exploring potential closure of 5 elementary schools
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- U.S. Department of Labor says Sodalicious violated child labor laws
- Gwyneth Paltrow’s ski collision trial continues with defense
- Hear it Firsthand: 6 Students Share Their Executive MBA Experience at BYU’s Marriott School…
- Online marriage licensing gets the attention all over the world
- Prison sentence reduced for ‘Real Housewives of SLC’ star Jen Shah