UDOT says most seasonal roads will be open by Memorial Day weekend
SUMMIT COUNTY, Utah — Specialized snowplow equipment moved in Monday to start clearing a 10-mile portion of the Mirror Lake Highway. The road that connects Kamas with the Wyoming state line, traverses many popular summer camping and hiking destinations. It’s part of UDOT’s efforts to clear a number of seasonal roads before the Memorial Day weekend.
“Several of them, we’ve been able to open already,” said UDOT Spokesperson John Gleason. “And several more we’re working on getting open in the next few days.”
Among the roads already open are S.R. 35 over Wolf Creek Pass, S.R. 65 over East Canyon, and S.R. 148 through Cedar Breaks.
Gleason said the Mirror Lake Highway, is still a question mark. “We have about three-to-12 feet snowdrifts just depending on where, and about 10 miles of the road that’s covered right now,” he said.
Gleason said the road supervisor is dealing with more snow than he saw last year. But he’s not sure if that’s because of cooler temperatures, or increased snowfall.
Before the Memorial Day weekend, Gleason said other roads will be open. They include Guardsman Pass, Monte Cristo and the Alpine Loop.
For the latest on road openings, you can go to UDOT’s website.
- UDOT says drivers should plan ahead this weekend
- UDOTs major construction projects for the summer of 2022
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- Biden signs bipartisan gun safety bill into law: ‘God willing, it’s going to…
- Elizabeth Smart says she was sexually assaulted on a plane
- Utah leaders react to Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade
- S.B. 174 now in effect in Utah with Supreme Court’s overturn of Roe v. Wade
- With Roe v. Wade now overturned, could same-sex marriage be next?
- 5 Ways You’re Watering Your Lawn Wrong
- Flight instructor, student, die in crash of USU Aviation plane
- Lawyer releases pages from Brian Laundrie’s notebook in which he admits to killing…