Avelo drops service, while Allegiant puts services on hold at Ogden airport
SALT LAKE CITY — Two low-cost airliners are leaving Ogden-Hinkley Airport. The departures leave the regional airport with no commercial airliners.
According to the Ogden Standard-Examiner, the departures of Allegiant Air and Avelo Airlines come as Ogden leverages funds of $1 million for commercial flight expansion.
Avelo, is an ultra-low-cost carrier headquartered in Houston, Texas. It cites high fuel costs as the reason they’re pulling out of Ogden’s airport. One of the most popular flights Avelo offered was Ogden to Burbank, California.
Allegiant flights have been on hiatus since April. The announcements come after Provo airport recently expanded its flight offerings and completed a $55 million expansion.
Critics blame the Ogden airport’s proximity to mountain ranges as a possible reason low-cost airliners are disappearing from the regional airport. In a recent interview, Ed McKenney, president of the Ogden Regional Airport Association, said pilots are not as willing to do what is called a “circle to land” to avoid getting too close to those ranges.
Airport authorities say with the changes involving two lost-cost airlines from the Ogden airport, ongoing terminal improvements will happen more quickly without the traffic from commercial airline flights.
- Utah airports to receive millions from Biden infrastructure plan
- Wheels up: Direct flights from Ogden to Burbank start Tuesday
- Ogden Twilight Concert Series lineup announced
Today’s Top Stories
- Lockout lifted for Hunter High and Hunter Elementary Schools
- Home schools and micro-schooling defined under new Utah bill
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Full-sized Target coming to former Dillard’s at Provo’s Towne Centre
- Utah hasn’t had this much snowfall since 2011, according to NWS
- One dead after four-vehicles crash on U.S. Highway-40
- Lawyers say new Petito photos prove Moab Police ignored evidence of abuse
- Utah Corrections offers more details on recent assaults against officers
- Utah gas prices spike, Governor blames regional supply
- Utah snowpack at a 10-year-high