Another fire closes I-80, SR-201 in Tooele again
SALT LAKE CITY — Another fire in Tooele has broken out right by the earlier Lakeshore Fire.
The Cyprus Fire is burning near the I-80 and SR 201 freeway junction, and has grown to an estimated 100 acres.
I-80 and SR 201 both BOTH closed again because of this second fire. Vehicles on I-80 are being turned back into Tooele at Lake Point, and those travelling on SR-201 are having to merge onto SR-202 and onto Eastbound I-80.
Officials say the previous Lakeshore Fire has burned an estimated 400 acres and is 80 percent contained.
Officials tell us the heavy winds have been making fighting the fire today more difficult, to the point of aircrafts being grounded.
Red flag warnings remain in effect through tomorrow night due to the winds and hot temperatures.
Restrictions for semis and high profile vehicles have been lifted for drivers travelling between Tooele and the Nevada border on I-80. However, drivers are asked to exercise caution since winds are expected to last through the night.
This story is developing and will be updated.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Meteorologist says only a couple more weeks of snow and rain
- Alta wins the race to 800 inches, more snow expected Friday afternoon
- Utah company with ties to polygamous group cited for violating child labor laws
- General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Arrest made after fatal Logan Canyon crash
- As the snow melts, cases of canine giardia can increase
- The search for the caller behind Utah’s 13 school hoaxes
- Additional sex charges filed against Utah businessman; more victims possible
- Utah drought conditions see “significant” improvement
- Jury finds Paltrow not liable in ski collision trial