Crews fight two roadside fires in Utah Sunday afternoon
Jul 31, 2022, 6:00 PM | Updated: Aug 22, 2022, 6:52 pm
WASHINGTON COUNTY, Utah — Two roadside fires sparked in Utah Sunday afternoon. One near Leeds, Utah, and the other near Birdseye, Utah.
Roadside fire near Birdseye
Utah Highway Patrol reported on its Twitter a roadside fire near Birdseye in southeastern Utah County.
Troopers and fire personnel are responding to a grass fire on US89 mm 298 near Birdseye. If traveling in the area please use caution and expect closures as the crews work. pic.twitter.com/xBLaaB5nH5
— Utah Highway Patrol (@UTHighwayPatrol) July 31, 2022
According to the tweet, the fire was near US Highway 89 near mile marker 298.
UHP says the fire is under control but encourages all travelers in the area to use caution and expect closures as crews work on the blaze.
“Please remember to check your vehicle for dragging chains or anything else that could cause sparks,” it said in a tweet. “Don’t park a hot vehicle on dry grass and please don’t throw lighted materials from vehicles.”
No injuries have been reported at this time.
Roadside fire near Leeds
Utah Department of Transportation took to its Twitter to announce a second fire had begun near Leeds in Washington County.
Vehicle on fire
SB I-15 at MP 26 (3 mi NE of Leeds) Washington Co.
Est. Clearance Time: 3:56 PM
For updates: https://t.co/jaVMw7vcLm
— UDOT Traffic (@UDOTTRAFFIC) July 31, 2022
According to the tweet, the fire started near southbound I-15 at milepost 26. Milepost 26 is three miles northeast of Leeds.
UHP Corporal Chris Bishop says a pickup truck caught fire, causing a brush fire. Additionally, he says the driver was able to vacate their vehicle.
At this time, no injuries or disruptions to the roadway have been reported.
- Pair of structure fires in Davis County keep crews busy
- In the American West, plumes of wildfire smoke are reaching new heights
- Fire at Orem Temple reported by freeway drivers, neighbors
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Two found dead after shooting at Cache County home
- Identities released of Hyrum couple found dead in their home
- Utah County Sheriff arrests driver accused in road rage deaths
- Seven months into Adderall shortage, expert offers advice
- Former Gov. Herbert on field of 2024 GOP presidential candidates
- Utah will loan first-time homebuyers $20,000 for new homes
- Man urges pet owners to be cautious around rivers after Oliver the dog was swept away
- Four Republicans on board to run for Utah’s 2nd Congressional District
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Weber, Box Elder, Davis, Tooele counties
- Lawmaker says Bible ban didn’t follow the law he helped create