Crews fight two roadside fires in Utah Sunday afternoon
WASHINGTON COUNTY, Utah — Two roadside fires sparked in Utah Sunday afternoon. One near Leeds, Utah, and the other near Birdseye, Utah.
Roadside fire near Birdseye
Utah Highway Patrol reported on its Twitter a roadside fire near Birdseye in southeastern Utah County.
Troopers and fire personnel are responding to a grass fire on US89 mm 298 near Birdseye. If traveling in the area please use caution and expect closures as the crews work. pic.twitter.com/xBLaaB5nH5
— Utah Highway Patrol (@UTHighwayPatrol) July 31, 2022
According to the tweet, the fire was near US Highway 89 near mile marker 298.
UHP says the fire is under control but encourages all travelers in the area to use caution and expect closures as crews work on the blaze.
“Please remember to check your vehicle for dragging chains or anything else that could cause sparks,” it said in a tweet. “Don’t park a hot vehicle on dry grass and please don’t throw lighted materials from vehicles.”
No injuries have been reported at this time.
Roadside fire near Leeds
Utah Department of Transportation took to its Twitter to announce a second fire had begun near Leeds in Washington County.
Vehicle on fire
SB I-15 at MP 26 (3 mi NE of Leeds) Washington Co.
Est. Clearance Time: 3:56 PM
For updates: https://t.co/jaVMw7vcLm
— UDOT Traffic (@UDOTTRAFFIC) July 31, 2022
According to the tweet, the fire started near southbound I-15 at milepost 26. Milepost 26 is three miles northeast of Leeds.
UHP Corporal Chris Bishop says a pickup truck caught fire, causing a brush fire. Additionally, he says the driver was able to vacate their vehicle.
At this time, no injuries or disruptions to the roadway have been reported.
- Pair of structure fires in Davis County keep crews busy
- In the American West, plumes of wildfire smoke are reaching new heights
- Fire at Orem Temple reported by freeway drivers, neighbors
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- SLCPD officer witnesses wrong-way drunk driver crash into embankment
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- China says it ‘reserves the right’ to deal with ‘similar situations’…
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen