Sandy family says son was attacked because he’s gay
SANDY, Utah — A family in Sandy is in shock and disbelief after their son was assaulted over the weekend while with his boyfriend.
The mother of the victim says the boy was outside with his boyfriend when a group of teenagers drove by and yelled profanities and other derogatory terms at them. According to the mother, the group returned about 45 minutes later, and this time one teenager got out of the car.
“And one thing led to another,” the mother said. “He just hit him in the side of the face.”
And the punch did significant damage to the victim.
“It hit him so hard, the inside of his gums imprinted with his teeth and ripped like his gums apart basically,” the mother said. “He’s got like holes in his gums.”
The victim’s sister also rushed outside to see what was happening. She asked the attacker why he was doing this.
The mother of the Sandy family says the boy yelled back and said because the victim is gay.
The victim was taken to the hospital and treated for a head injury. He is now recovering at home. The victim’s mother says he suffered a concussion with lots of headaches.
The Sandy Police Department is investigating the incident and have arrested a 17-year-old suspect. Police say the suspect is accused of assault with a hate crime enhancement.
Mark Jones contributed to this article.
Today’s Top Stories
- Two people dead in Taylorsville after shooting
- Washington County authorities investigating shooting of seven cows
- Unified Police looking for missing teen from Holladay
- Utah Little League player, after fall from bunk bed, is making progress
- Utah middle school bans phones from entire school day
- Church announces names of 2 future temples; another temple rededicated
- Victim of fatal accident identified, SR 190 reopens in Big Cottonwood Canyon
- UPDATE: Meteor potentially causes boom that rattles Salt Lake Valley
- Three arrested for obstruction of justice in WinCo murder case
- Utah judge cancels hearing on trans athlete ruling in favor of written opinion