2 dead, 2 injured by lightning strike near White House
(CNN) — Two people are dead and two are injured following a lightning strike across the street from the White House Thursday night.
James Mueller, 76, and Donna Mueller, 75, have died from injuries following the lightning strike in Lafayette Park near the White House Thursday night, a DC Metropolitan Police spokesperson confirmed. The couple was visiting from Wisconsin.
The condition of the other two people injured on Thursday was not immediately clear.
The victims were riding out the storm under a tree, according to a law enforcement source.
A severe thunderstorm hit the DC region around 7 p.m. ET Thursday.
This story has been updated with additional information.
™ & © 2022 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Utah Senate passes transgender-related surgery ban for minors
- Three teens in custody after fight, shooting at Taylorsville High
- Utah safety officials, NAACP, react to death of Tyre Nichols
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- Memphis releases video showing police stop that led to Tyre Nichols’ death
- Bystander finds dead body in Salt Lake foothills above Beck Street
- School choice bill is “limiting” public schools, UEA president says