2 dead, 2 injured by lightning strike near White House
(CNN) — Two people are dead and two are injured following a lightning strike across the street from the White House Thursday night.
James Mueller, 76, and Donna Mueller, 75, have died from injuries following the lightning strike in Lafayette Park near the White House Thursday night, a DC Metropolitan Police spokesperson confirmed. The couple was visiting from Wisconsin.
The condition of the other two people injured on Thursday was not immediately clear.
The victims were riding out the storm under a tree, according to a law enforcement source.
A severe thunderstorm hit the DC region around 7 p.m. ET Thursday.
This story has been updated with additional information.
™ & © 2022 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved
Today’s Top Stories
- Direct selling and the big impact it has on the Utah economy
- Two people dead in Taylorsville after shooting
- What the bishops knew: Church releases details, timeline about Arizona sex abuse case
- Quantum computing of “great concern” to Rep. Chris Stewart, here’s why
- Utah experiences another interesting day of weather
- Unified Police looking for missing teen from Holladay
- New fire ignites in Spring Canyon in Carbon County
- Utah middle school bans phones from entire school day
- Crash causing big delays in Tooele County
- Sandy Police are investigating the vandalism of six church buildings