UPDATE: Man steals excavator and starts ripping up the ground, breaks water line
SALT LAKE CITY – A water line broke by a Smith’s parking lot earlier after a man stole an excavator and began ripping up the ground.
Here’s something you don’t see everyday, someone stole an excavator and drove it nearly a mile to 800 South 900 West where he started ripping up the ground. The suspect is in custody and utility crews are assessing the damage. #slc #slcpd #saltlakecity pic.twitter.com/VSfnR44xOp
— Salt Lake City Police (@slcpd) August 6, 2022
The man, identified as 46-year-old Omar Ortega, reportedly stole the excavator and drove a mile to 800 South 900 West where he began digging up the ground. A water main was ruptured and some google fiber wires were ripped up.
Responding officers stopped and arrested Ortega. He has been charged with felony theft and felony criminal mischief.
- Stolen car report leads to police chase, multiple people flee from scene
- Stolen vehicle crashed by suspect; child injured, police say
- Salt Lake City police recovers six stolen vehicles in two day operation
Today’s Top Stories
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Potential redesign of new Utah State Flag emphasizes Native American tribes
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- When it’s this cold, keep your pipes from freezing. Here’s how.
- Monday morning’s cold temperatures nearly set new records
- Cold weather causes late start for Logan City School District Wednesday
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Correctional officer assaulted at Utah State Correctional Facility
- 10 famous Utah ghost towns and where to find them
- Used car prices dropping but supply still low