Crowd lifts car from person hit by speeding driver in West Valley City
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — A driver is under arrest and one person is hospitalized after an accident Sunday night off of Redwood Road and 4000 South.
West Valley City Police Lt. Julie Jorgensen said a driver was traveling northbound on Redwood Road when he crashed through a retaining wall and then into the parking lot of the Redwood Apartments. Witnesses said that the driver was speeding when the crash happened.
Police said that there was a group of people standing in the apartment parking lot who scattered when the car approached. But one adult male was hit and run over by the driver.
The remaining crowd reportedly lifted the car off the the crash victim, who was later hospitalized with serious, non-life-threatening injuries.
The driver has been identified as Gabriel Yates. He was suspected of driving under the influence and was booked into the Salt Lake County jail.
This story will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- Controversial homecoming dress code ends in protest
- Name change coming to Intermountain Healthcare next year
- Ian makes landfall in southwest Florida as Category 4 storm
- The plan to build an inland port/commerce hub is on hold
- Salt Lake County Dems call for immediate resignation of Sen. Gene Davis
- So. Salt Lake Police identify victim in officer-involved shooting
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Davis and Weber counties
- New poll suggests voters don’t wan’t to see Biden or Trump on the ballot
- Fatal crash near Strawberry Reservoir closes SR-40
- Hurricane Ian knocked out power to all of Cuba, Florida officials urge evacuations