Fire starts up in Wasatch County near town of Daniel, quickly extinguished
Update: 8:54 p.m.
WASATCH COUNTY, Utah — Utah Fire Info says the Magpie Hill Fire has been fully extinguished.
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) August 11, 2022
WASATCH COUNTY, Utah — A new fire started up Wednesday afternoon in Wasatch County.
Fire in Wasatch County
According to Utah Fire Info, the Magpie Hill Fire is located up on a mountain south of the town of Daniel. It has burned roughly 20 acres and is burning sagebrush and oak. The fire was first reported at around 3:30 p.m.
Also, Utah Fire Info reports that there are no threats to any structures.
Fire officials say that there is light wind in the area. However, rain has been falling in the area as well.
While fire officials say it’s too early to say for certain what caused the fire, they did say that there has been lightning in the area.
New 🔥 Start: Located in Wasatch Co., south of the town of Daniel, the #MagpieHillFire is determined to be caused by lightning. The fire is estimated at 20 acres & burning in oak & sagebrush. Currently, there are no threats. Resources are on scene. #kmyffsl pic.twitter.com/zRCyhVtnHl
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) August 10, 2022
Early Wednesday evening, Utah Fire Info reported the fire was 50% contained. Crews have constructed a dozer line around the blaze. Crews are putting out the remaining hot spots.
By the numbers
According to Utah Fire Info, as of Monday, there have been 287 lightning-caused wildfires around the state. In 2021, there were 375 lightning-caused fires for the same time span. Two years ago, there were 242 lightning-caused fires through the first week of August.
For the full 12 months of 2021, the state had 546 fires started by lightning out of a total of 1,131. In 2020, the state had 343 fires that were caused by lightning out of 1,506 wildfires for the entire year.
- Where things stand on wildfires burning in Utah
- Be Ready Utah: What to do when wildfires close in on your home
Today’s Top Stories
- Bill would allow individuals to become teachers without a bachelor’s degree
- One person killed in wrong-way head-on collision on I-15 near Beck Street
- SLCPD arrest two people in connection to a Wednesday shooting
- Utah mom shares grocery budgeting tips
- Bill would require buildings to post signs for events meant for adults
- Fake nursing diploma scheme in Florida; 25 arrested
- One person dead following a stabbing in Salt Lake City suspect still at large
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Utah senator joins other senators in support of concealed-carry reciprocity
- Eyeing retirement: How much money is enough after you leave a job?