POLITICS + GOVERNMENT
Senate confirms John Valentine as chair of Utah State Tax Commission
Aug 18, 2022, 9:00 PM
(Annie Barker /Deseret News)
SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Spencer Cox’s reappointment of John Valentine as chair of the Utah State Tax Commission was confirmed Thursday by the Utah State Senate.
The senate confirmed Valentine during an extraordinary session at the Utah State Capitol.
“John is the epitome of what we need in the commission, so the committee voted unanimously to forward his
nomination and the state of Utah is grateful for his service,” said Sen. Curtis Bramble (R-Provo) in a news release.
Valentine was first appointed to the position by then Gov. Gary Herbert in 2014. Previously, Valentine served in the Utah Legislature from 1988 to 2014. He served in the House of Representatives for 10 years from 1988 to 1998. He then served in the State Senate from 1998 to 2014.
Away from his duties on the commission, Valentine is a lieutenant with the Utah County Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue team.
Valentine earned a bachelor’s degree in accounting and economics from Brigham Young University. Additionally, he also earned a juris doctorate from BYU’s J. Reuben Clark School of Law.
“I truly appreciate the confidence of Gov. Cox in appointing me to serve an additional four-year constitutional term
as the chairman of the Utah State Tax Commission,” Valentine said in a news release.
- Cox appoints Fresques to Utah State Tax Commission
- Amid rising prices, should Utah dump state income tax?
- Gov. Cox opens up about past mental heath struggles at press conference
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Parts of Utah experienced a severe thunderstorm, Pride Festival back on
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- A congressional resignation, hurry sickness and the need for respectful restraint
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- Landspout forms over Salt Lake County. Here’s how that differs from a tornado
- Two men electrocuted while cutting a tree in West Jordan
- PornHub blocks users in Utah, cites state’s age verification law
- Following complaint against Bible in schools, Book of Mormon receives complaint for…
- Wildlife officials trying to trap bear after it approached a tent above Bountiful