Labor Day 2022: Many have an extra day off, but what’s open?
(CNN) — Labor Day, which recognizes the many contributions workers have made to the prosperity of the United States, also marks the unofficial end of summer on the first Monday in September and many businesses will be closed.
Labor Day in Utah: UDOT expects these slowdowns during Labor Day Weekend
Many Americans across the country will be celebrating the long weekend, but it can be confusing to figure out what will be open and closed to observe the holiday on Monday, September 5.
Here are the businesses and institutions that will be open and closed.
Are retailers closed on Labor Day?
Most major retailers, including Walmart, Target, CVS and major grocery stores like Kroger and Trader Joe’s will be open. Notably, wholesale retailer Costco will be closed Monday. Make sure to check in with local businesses to see if they’ll be closed in observance of the holiday.
Federal offices, government buildings and post offices will be closed Monday. State and local courts and DMV offices will not be operating.
Labor Day is a bank holiday, so most banks will be closed — however, online banking and ATMs will be available for use. The stock market will not be trading — the New York Stock Exchange and Nasdaq will be dark.
The US Post office and Labor Day
USPS will be closed on Monday. UPS also will not be operating, but its Express Critical services will be available. While most of FedEx’s services will be closed, its Custom Critical service will also be operating.
™ & © 2022 Cable News Network, Inc., a Warner Bros. Discovery Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man in custody after hours of negotiation in Orem home
- Chance of thunderstorms Thursday could affect BYU game
- Hurricane Ian weakens to Category 3 after making landfall in Florida, but officials warn the…
- Researchers using dirty diapers to develop new autism test
- American Leadership Academy responds to homecoming incident
- Former KSL NewsRadio talk show host in the path of Hurricane Ian
- Controversial homecoming dress code ends in protest
- Federal, state authorities warn of return of missed jury duty, outstanding warrant scam
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Davis and Weber counties