University of Utah investigating possible threat of violence
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah Department of Public Safety is actively looking into a potential threat of violence.
According to a news release from the university, the threat consists of illegal firearms being on campus. The focus of the threat is at the Union Building.
Out of an abundance of caution, the Union will close on Friday at 5p.
More information ⬇️https://t.co/5nVVmEWq9N
— University of Utah (@UUtah) September 8, 2022
As a result, the Union Building will be closed at the end of the business day Friday at 5 p.m. All planned events in the building for Friday evening have been called off. However, other events scheduled for around campus this weekend are not expected to be impacted, according to the news release.
As such, the University Patrol is stepping up patrols around campus until the possible threat of violence is mitigated or the investigation is complete.
Anyone who sees suspicious activity taking place is asked to call University Police at 801-585-2677.
- Bomb threat at University of Utah
- Bomb threat at University of Utah was a hoax, investigation continues
Today’s Top Stories
- Bill would allow individuals to become teachers without a bachelor’s degree
- One person killed in wrong-way head-on collision on I-15 near Beck Street
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- The bizarre history of Groundhog Day
- One person dead following a stabbing in Salt Lake City suspect still at large
- Four elk killed as herd gets too close to I-215 and I-80
- Bill to set target water level for the Great Salt Lake dries up
- One man dead, suspect on the run after Glendale shooting
- Salt Lake City police investigating shooting, one person hurt
- Davis County officials charge suspect in Layton Amber Alert