CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Woman dies in SLC shooting, suspect arrested
SALT LAKE CITY — A woman is dead after a shooting Sunday night. According to a statement by the Salt Lake City Police Department, the incident is being investigated as a potential domestic violence-related homicide.
Authorities received a call at 8:25 p.m. with reports of a shooting at the Downtown West Apartment complex located at 718 N. 900 W.
Responding officers found a female victim with a gunshot wound, identified as 24-year-old Lyberdee Cisneros. They applied a chest seal and started performing CPR. According to reports, Gold Cross Ambulance and the Salt Lake City Fire Department assisted SLCPD with life-saving efforts.
Gold Cross transported the Cisneros to the hospital in critical condition. She later died from her injuries.
SLCPD detained two men inside the apartment complex as part of the investigation. The men include 20-year-old Jayden Wade Fernelius who detectives believe is responsible for the killing of his girlfriend, Cisneros. Fernelius was found on the scene with a 9 mm handgun.
Anyone with information on this case is asked to call 801-799-3000 and reference case number 22-189275.
The SLCPD reports that this makes 12 homicides in Salt Lake City in 2022.
The Salt Lake City Police Department reminds our community of the resources available to support survivors of domestic violence in Utah including, Utah Department of Human Services: Domestic Violence Services and Utah Domestic Violence Coalition.
The SLCPD encourages anyone who has experienced Domestic Violence to call 801- 799-3000 and ask to speak with a Victim Advocate or call their 24-hour hotline directly at 801-580-7969. All services are free, and callers can get information anonymously.
- One person in critical condition after Sunday night shooting
- Double stabbing sends grandmother and grandson to the hospital
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Woods Cross man arrested for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- Gwyneth Paltrow ski crash trial begins in Park City, lawyer calls it “B.S.”
- USU grad files lawsuit against university for racist caricature
- UHP: Three people dead in two-vehicle crash in Kane County
- Bus driver to be honored for saving woman from dog attack
- Fire breaks out at Orem home
- False threat near the TRAX Daybreak Parkway Station
- Teens charged as adults in West Valley shooting death
- D2 gets to the bottom of the impending arrest of former President Trump
- Utah Rivers Council selling discounted rain barrels as effort toward water conservation