Woman dies in SLC shooting, suspect arrested
SALT LAKE CITY — A woman is dead after a shooting Sunday night. According to a statement by the Salt Lake City Police Department, the incident is being investigated as a potential domestic violence-related homicide.
Authorities received a call at 8:25 p.m. with reports of a shooting at the Downtown West Apartment complex located at 718 N. 900 W.
Responding officers found a female victim with a gunshot wound, identified as 24-year-old Lyberdee Cisneros. They applied a chest seal and started performing CPR. According to reports, Gold Cross Ambulance and the Salt Lake City Fire Department assisted SLCPD with life-saving efforts.
Gold Cross transported the Cisneros to the hospital in critical condition. She later died from her injuries.
SLCPD detained two men inside the apartment complex as part of the investigation. The men include 20-year-old Jayden Wade Fernelius who detectives believe is responsible for the killing of his girlfriend, Cisneros. Fernelius was found on the scene with a 9 mm handgun.
Anyone with information on this case is asked to call 801-799-3000 and reference case number 22-189275.
The SLCPD reports that this makes 12 homicides in Salt Lake City in 2022.
The Salt Lake City Police Department reminds our community of the resources available to support survivors of domestic violence in Utah including, Utah Department of Human Services: Domestic Violence Services and Utah Domestic Violence Coalition.
The SLCPD encourages anyone who has experienced Domestic Violence to call 801- 799-3000 and ask to speak with a Victim Advocate or call their 24-hour hotline directly at 801-580-7969. All services are free, and callers can get information anonymously.
Today’s Top Stories
- Vivint Smart Home acquired for $2.8 billion by NRG Energy
- UDOT wants public comments for proposed Orem expansion
- Trump Organization convicted in executive tax dodge scheme
- A 4-day workweek is working for Provo government
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- Three toys recalled in U.S. for excessive lead paint
- Suspected criminals on Zillow listing Utah homes for sale without homeowners’ knowledge
- Lawsuit against Arches National Park after incident resulting in the death of a woman
- Kirstie Alley, ‘Cheers’ and ‘Veronica’s Closet’ star, dead at 71
- Georgia voters once again have the last word during election season