SALT LAKE CITY
Odd smell coming from North Salt Lake goes unidentified
SALT LAKE CITY — Officials are trying to get to the bottom of an odd smell in North Salt Lake.
North Salt Lake City manager Ken Leetham said that the city had received calls reporting a fishy smell. And it seems that some of the worst of it is in the Foxboro community, though Leetham said the smell is wafting as far north as Farmington.
“We have an odor reporting tool that we’ve received a lot of complaints on this morning,” South Davis Sewer District General Manager Matt Myers. He noted that the district had gotten over 50 reports of the smell.
But the culprit is likely not the sewer district, Meyers said.
“We have had odors from the sewer district before… The odor is not the same odor that we typically see,” said South Davis Sewer District General Manager Matt Myers. “The prevailing winds on some of the weather stations that we’ve checked also don’t seem to be consistent with when we have experienced odor issues in the past.”
After talking to the refineries, Leetham concurred they’re also not the culprit of the smell.
Leetham said there’s a chance it could be coming from the Great Salt Lake or from nearby sulfur springs. He said the city is committed to finding the source but if they can’t, they’re hopeful it will just go away on its own.
- Man cited for violating raw sewage ordinance in Stockton
- Utah debates: Here’s how 3rd District candidates stand on the issues (Rep. John Curtis (R) vs. Glenn Wright (D)
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Murray doctor charged with sexual exploitation of a minor
- The Salt Lake Temple renovation has a new completion date
- Woods Cross man charged for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: “It’s been a punch to the gut,” Woods Cross mom of boy…
- Median price of a home declines for first time in a decade, what it means for Utah
- Mother tells of her escape from addiction and being homeless
- Should the Bible be banned from school libraries?
- Man arrested for suspicion of arson in Orem house fire
- D2 gets to the bottom of the impending arrest of former President Trump
- False threat near the TRAX Daybreak Parkway Station