CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Child sent to hospital after being attacked by dog
Oct 19, 2022, 8:00 PM | Updated: Dec 29, 2022, 11:24 am
SANDY, Utah — A 5-year-old child suffered injuries to his arms and face after being attacked by a dog Wednesday afternoon.
According to Sgt. Greg Moffitt with the Sandy Police Department, the incident happened in the 8600 block of Green Way, just east of 700 East at 1:10 p.m.
Moffitt says the child was riding his bike, under the supervision of his mother, in a residential area on Green Way. A Siberian husky then charged at the child and began to attack. Police say the mother was able to kick the dog several times to free the child and get him back to the house. Additionally, Moffitt was unsure where the dog came from prior to the attack.
Child attacked by dog transported to hospital
Once on scene, medical personnel decided to transport the child by helicopter to Primary Children’s Hospital. The child was listed in stable condition as he was transported.
Moffitt says the dog belongs to a nearby resident, who wasn’t at home at the time.
Due to the state rabies control protocol, Sandy Animal Services took custody of the dog and has placed it in quarantine.
Sandy Animal Services is investigating the incident.
- Sandy Police are investigating the vandalism of six church buildings
- Utah mail carriers ask for help preventing dog bites
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Woman barricades herself inside West Jordan home, then arrested
- Congressman Chris Stewart announces resignation
- U of U Health, Regence insurance warn they may not reach a contract
- Becky Edwards announces her intent to run to represent Utah’s 2nd Congressional District
- Adult filmmakers ask judge to delay Utah law requiring porn sites verify user ages
- Sen. Lee says he will vote no on debt ceiling agreement
- Some rivers exit flood stage as spring runoff draws closer to an end
- Record Utah winter makes up for years-long water shortfall
- Pilot crashes small plane in southern Utah after buying it from Nevada, officials say
- Small whooping cough outbreak in Cache Valley