CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Smithfield man arrested in connection to Idaho hit-and-run incident
Oct 26, 2022, 7:00 PM | Updated: Dec 29, 2022, 11:23 am
SMITHFIELD, Utah — A 33-year-old Smithfield man is in the Cache County Jail awaiting extradition to Idaho for his alleged involvement in a hit-and-run incident earlier this month.
According to a news release from the Idaho State Police, Christopher James Ward was taken into custody Wednesday morning by Smithfield Police.
On Oct. 16, the ISP responded to a hit-and-run incident in the area of S. State Street and E. 4800 South in Franklin County.
Once on scene, law enforcement personnel discovered a 25-year-old bicyclist who had suffered serious injuries. The victim was transported by helicopter to an area hospital for medical treatment.
Based on the investigation of the incident, ISP troopers believed the vehicle in question was a 2015-2018 Volkswagen Jetta. Police say it had suffered significant frontend damage as a result of the collision.
Since that time, authorities in Idaho have investigated the incident. According to the news release, police determined the vehicle belonged to Ward based on tips and evidence.
With the assistance of the Franklin County Prosecutor’s Office, an arrest warrant was issued for Ward. During his arrest, Ward’s vehicle was seized and will be returned to Idaho.
Since the incident, the bicyclist has been transferred to a hospital in Utah and remains in critical condition.
If you have information on the hit-and-run incident in Idaho, you are asked to call the ISP at 208-239-9800.
- After fatal hit and run, SLC police looking for gold SUV
- Child dies after hit and run in West Valley
- Motorhome crash in Idaho sends two Utahns to the hospital
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Two people killed in road rage crash near Eagle Mountain are identified
- Utah House leader signals change to special election law to fill Rep. Stewart’s seat
- Kouri Richins family satisfied with partial gag order issued in case, says spokesman
- Teenager drowns at Palisade State Park after getting caught in storm, officials say
- Gov. Cox says he’s willing to call a special session to change Utah special election law
- Salt Lake City police investigate after fatal overnight shooting outside of New Yorker night club
- Witnesses report motorcycle passenger firing at silver car on NB I-15
- Man nearly drowns at Gunlock Falls
- Four killed, including toddler, after plane crashed in Virginia