POLITICS + GOVERNMENT
Local races to watch on election day
SALT LAKE CITY — Some local races are getting less attention than Utah’s high-profile Senate race, but those races could still have some big implications.
The make-up of the Salt Lake County Council is at stake this midterm with a key race between longtime Councilman Richard Snelgrove and Democrat Suzanne Harrison. Currently, the council has a 6-3 Republican supermajority, Harrison hopes she can make the split 5-4.
“If my opponent wins this race, he will have served 18 years in the same office,” said Harrison. “We’ve been living with a cost of living crisis in Salt Lake County for a very long time and yet this council has not helped.”
Snelgrove said he’s a fiscal conservative, who prides himself on avoiding tax increases.
In the Salt Lake County Clerk’s race, Republican Goud Maragani, has walked back his one-time belief the 2020 election was stolen. Lannie Chapman, the current Chief Deputy Clerk, has been long-time clerk Sherrie Swenson’s number two.
In the Utah County Clerk’s race, Republican Aaron Davidson changed his stance on getting rid of voting by mail but still believes voting in-person is safest.
KSL will also be watching for any major shakeups in the state legislature, county clerks races in Salt Lake and Utah counties, a proposed constitutional amendment, and multiple school district bonds.
- Utah primary election: Acceptable ID to bring for in-person voting
- Election clerks in Utah say new law is pulling them from counting votes
- Utah seeing low early voter turnout
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah company with ties to polygamous group cited for violating child labor laws
- Additional sex charges filed against Utah businessman; more victims possible
- Arrest made after fatal Logan Canyon crash
- Meteorologist says only a couple more weeks of snow and rain
- Jury finds Paltrow not liable in ski collision trial
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- The search for the caller behind Utah’s 13 school hoaxes
- Utah drought conditions see “significant” improvement
- Hear it Firsthand: 6 Students Share Their Executive MBA Experience at BYU’s Marriott School…
- AEGIX Aim: Could this app be helpful during a school shooting?