Local races to watch on election day
SALT LAKE CITY — Some local races are getting less attention than Utah’s high-profile Senate race, but those races could still have some big implications.
The make-up of the Salt Lake County Council is at stake this midterm with a key race between longtime Councilman Richard Snelgrove and Democrat Suzanne Harrison. Currently, the council has a 6-3 Republican supermajority, Harrison hopes she can make the split 5-4.
“If my opponent wins this race, he will have served 18 years in the same office,” said Harrison. “We’ve been living with a cost of living crisis in Salt Lake County for a very long time and yet this council has not helped.”
Snelgrove said he’s a fiscal conservative, who prides himself on avoiding tax increases.
In the Salt Lake County Clerk’s race, Republican Goud Maragani, has walked back his one-time belief the 2020 election was stolen. Lannie Chapman, the current Chief Deputy Clerk, has been long-time clerk Sherrie Swenson’s number two.
In the Utah County Clerk’s race, Republican Aaron Davidson changed his stance on getting rid of voting by mail but still believes voting in-person is safest.
KSL will also be watching for any major shakeups in the state legislature, county clerks races in Salt Lake and Utah counties, a proposed constitutional amendment, and multiple school district bonds.
All-day election coverage, listen live!
- Utah primary election: Acceptable ID to bring for in-person voting
- Election clerks in Utah say new law is pulling them from counting votes
- Utah seeing low early voter turnout
Today’s Top Stories
- Vivint Smart Home acquired for $2.8 billion by NRG Energy
- A 4-day workweek is working for Provo government
- Trump Organization convicted in executive tax dodge scheme
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- Three toys recalled in U.S. for excessive lead paint
- Suspected criminals on Zillow listing Utah homes for sale without homeowners’ knowledge
- UDOT wants public comments for proposed Orem expansion
- Lawsuit against Arches National Park after incident resulting in the death of a woman
- Kirstie Alley, ‘Cheers’ and ‘Veronica’s Closet’ star, dead at 71
- Colorado gay club shooting suspect charged with hate crimes