CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Man arrested after making alleged threat with a fake hand grenade
SALT LAKE CITY — A 30-year-old man is in custody after Salt Lake City Police say he allegedly made a threat at a business with a fake hand grenade.
According to the probable cause statement, police were called to the business in the area of 5725 W. Amelia Earhart Drive at 2:25 p.m. Thursday.
Police say the suspect, who has been identified as Jared McDonald, stated to the staff something along the lines of “If you’re good with me nothing will happen. If you’re bad with me something bad will happen.”
After being asked to leave the property, McDonald, according to the probable cause statement, came back a few minutes later. He placed a fake hand grenade on the counter and walked out. The probable cause statement says the grenade was metallic and looked real.
Once outside the business, McDonald began putting on a mask and a tactical vest near his vehicle, according to the probable cause statement.
As police arrived on the scene, McDonald was still standing next to his vehicle. Law enforcement personnel attempted to take McDonald into custody. However, he refused their commands.
The probable cause statement says officers had to physically arrest McDonald.
The suspect was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of threat of terrorism, a second-degree felony. He was also booked for investigation of aggravated assault, a third-degree felony. Additionally, McDonald was booked for investigation of threat of violence, interference with arresting officers and criminal trespass. All three of those are class B misdemeanors.
- One person in custody after making threats at City Creek Center
- Salt Lake City Police say suspicious vehicle not a threat to public
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Body found at 600N, I-15 Southbound
- Utah’s COVID-19 transmissions slowed but still present
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: “It’s been a punch to the gut,” Woods Cross mom of boy…
- Clearfield power and traffic alert
- Robbery at swap meet leaves one victim shaken up
- Full interlodge in effect for Alta and Snowbird ski area
- Woods Cross man charged for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- Winter-like temperatures sticking around
- Not everyone is a fan of Utah’s new state flag
- Salt Lake carjacking suspect dead, investigation continues