CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Man destroys own home after negative reaction to medication and alcohol
LEHI, Utah — A Lehi man was taken into custody Wednesday morning in connection to a felony discharge of a firearm. Police say he allegedly destroyed his own home.
Lehi Police were called to the area of W. Barley Bend for a report of a criminal mischief incident around 6 a.m. When officers arrived on scene, the reporting individual stated to police that there was damage to his dry wall.
Upon further investigation, police discovered that there was damage done to the inside of the townhome. Police say the damage was done by a bullet, which they found on the floor.
Officers made contact with the neighbor, identified as Jacob Waits. Police say Waits answered the door with dry blood on his face.
Waits told law enforcement personnel that he couldn’t remember anything from the previous night.
Home of man in disarray
Additionally, police say Waits’ home was in in disarray. Police also say his living room and kitchen had been destroyed.
According to police, couches and other furniture in Waits’ home had been flipped and thrown across the room. Drawers and cupboards had been destroyed with knifes sticking out.
Authorities also found several used shell casings in various parts of the home. Police also found a bottle of alcohol on the stairs.
Through their investigation, police determined that the suspect got blackout drunk. In the process, he destroyed his home, shot his firearm, and potentially injured himself by losing his balance on the stairs. Police also say they found a pool of dried blood at the bottom of the stairs.
In their report, police say the suspect reportedly took prescribed medication that resulted in a negative reaction to the alcohol.
The suspect’s ex-wife told police that he had showed similar behavior in the past, but not to this extent.
Waits is also facing several other charges, according to Lehi Police.
- After attempted kidnapping, Lehi police have a message for parents
- Lehi police search for suspects in overnight car chase, one is on foot
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Gwyneth Paltrow ski crash trial begins in Park City, lawyer calls it “B.S.”
- UHP: Three people dead in two-vehicle crash in Kane County
- D2 gets to the bottom of the impending arrest of former President Trump
- Death penalty off the table for Lori Vallow Daybell
- Utah Flooding: How to prevent and mitigate the risk
- USU grad files lawsuit against university for racist caricature
- Home prices are down and so are the size of apartments
- Utah Rivers Council selling discounted rain barrels as effort toward water conservation
- Brighton hits a milestone with 700 inches of snow
- 16-year-old dead, 2 other teens injured in fatal crash in Juab County