Carbon monoxide poisoning on the rise in winter months
SALT LAKE CITY — Winter is approaching and officials want people to know the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. Last year, nearly 200 Utahns were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.
The flame in a gas appliance should generally be blue, with some orange. If the flame is mostly yellow, it’s giving off excess carbon monoxide.
Although carbon monoxide is invisible and odorless, symptoms include headaches, dizziness, shortness of breath, confusion and loss of consciousness.
Utah Poison Control said it’s important to have your furnace, water heater and gas-powered appliances inspected each year.
In the winter days, many practice the habit of starting their car early to make it warm for when we are ready to depart. Never do this in a garage.
Finally, poison control said to always trust your carbon monoxide alarm, and if alerted, immediately leave.
- UDOT recommends motorists to plan ahead over Thanksgiving weekend
- BYU wellness students return from Blue zone with healthy lifestyle tips
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: “It’s been a punch to the gut,” Woods Cross mom of boy…
- Murray doctor charged with sexual exploitation of a minor
- Full interlodge in effect for Alta and Snowbird ski area
- The Salt Lake Temple renovation has a new completion date
- Another Utah snowstorm has us asking, what is a snow squall?
- Gwyneth Paltrow ski collision trial in Utah enters third day
- Woods Cross man charged for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- Mother tells of her escape from addiction and being homeless
- Salt Lake carjacking suspect dead, investigation continues
- Spring running late, another snowy morning commute is predicted