Utah Air National Guard Airman dies during routine deployment
ROY, Utah – An Airman from Roy has died of medical complications while on a routine deployment to Guam on Nov. 29. according to a statement from the Utah National Guard.
Tech. Sgt. Burton Patrick Juengel, who was assigned to the 151st Air Refueling Wing, experienced an unexpected medical emergency on Friday, Nov. 25.
Juengel was taken to the emergency room at the Guam Regional Medical Center where doctors worked to diagnose him.
According to the statement Juengel’s condition worsened and “despite the heroic efforts of the hospital staff” he passed away on Nov. 29.
“We are devastated by the tragic loss of an outstanding Airman and express our heartfelt condolences to his wife, children, and family,” said Brig. Gen. Daniel Boyack, commander of the Utah Air National Guard.
“This is a tremendous tragedy for all of us deployed on this mission,” said Lt. Col. Philip Schembri, unit commander for the deployment. “Tech Sgt. Juengel was an outstanding Airman and performed his job with enthusiasm and a positivity that motivated those around him.”
The statement went on to state that “Juengel lived by the Air Force values. Integrity First, Service Before Self, and Excellence in All We Do.”
Juengel is survived by his wife, their daughter, and their unborn child.
Related reading: Flight operations resumed Tuesday at Hill Air Force Base
Today’s Top Stories
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- More than 2,700 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria
- Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- 2 arrested in central California shooting that left 6 dead, including mother clutching…
- Evacuations ordered amid fears of an explosion as an Ohio train continues burning days after…
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon