Two South Jordan police officers justified in shooting, says S.L. County D.A.
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake Count District Attorney Sim Gill announced Friday that two South Jordan police officers were justified in their use of deadly force during an arrest last year in which both an officer and a suspect were shot.
On Nov. 26, 2021, Officers Caleb Wilson and Garrett Williams attempted to arrest Malui Salesi Vehikite, 29, who had multiple felony warrants and was a suspect in a stolen-vehicle investigation.
At a residence [10424 S. Tarali Court (1875 West)], officers spoke with Vehikite’s sister, who allowed them inside to check for him.
Officer Wilson and Sgt. Adams searched the basement for Vehikite while Williams remained upstairs. Vehikite came out of a bathroom and fired at Wilson and Adams who were in a bedroom. Wilson returned fire and was allegedly shot in the upper leg by Vehikite and fell to the floor, severing the officer’s femoral artery and nearly killing him.
Vehikite ran upstairs, encountered Williams, and raised his weapon. Williams fired and Vehikite fell. He was placed in custody, emergency aid was rendered for several non-fatal gunshot wounds and he was transported to a hospital.
Vehikite of South Jordan is charged in 3rd District Court with attempted aggravated murder, a first-degree felony; two counts of assault on a police officer, a second-degree felony; and possession of a firearm by a restricted person, a third-degree felony.
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Three vehicle crash in Sanpete County leaves one dead
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- Two Republicans voted against bill banning transgender-related surgery, here’s why
- Engineer who refused to approve Challenger launch dies in Ogden
- Utah Senate passes transgender-related surgery ban for minors
- Trump says he’s ‘more angry’ and ‘more committed’ to White…