BUSINESS + ECONOMY
Much-needed money on the way to help save the Great Salt Lake
Dec 16, 2022, 7:00 PM
SALT LAKE CITY — Congress is sending much-needed money to Utah to help save the Great Salt Lake.
Specifically, $10 million of the $858 billion defense bill will be earmarked toward helping rescue the lake.
The funding will allow for a couple of things to be done.
First, the Army Corps of Engineers will monitor how much water is in the lake. And in turn, will work with state leaders on how to best manage the lake.
Secondly, the Army Corps of Engineers will conduct a study on the feasibility of a possible pipeline from other states, including the ocean.
This was an original proposal of Sen. Mitt Romney. Sen. Mike Lee was the only Utahn to vote against it.
This money going toward the Great Salt Lake is in addition to the proposal by Gov. Cox earlier this month. The governor is asking the legislature to earmark $133 million to go directly toward the Great Salt Lake.
Mark Jones contributed to this article.
- Senate passes Romney-sponsored bill to fund Great Salt Lake study
- Water levels are too low for some Great Salt Lake sensors
- What role can history play in saving the Great Salt Lake, solving Utah’s water woes?
- Many options for helping the Great Salt Lake; the simplest — use less water
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Candidates starting to line up as potential replacement for Rep. Stewart
- SLC Ballpark ‘Next Design’ competition winners announced
- Becky Edwards announces her intent to run to represent Utah’s 2nd Congressional District
- Here’s how Utah’s 4 congressmen voted on the debt ceiling bill
- Congressman Chris Stewart announces resignation
- U of U Health, Regence insurance warn they may not reach a contract
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- Woman barricades herself inside West Jordan home, then arrested
- Sen. Lee says he will vote no on debt ceiling agreement
- Lori Vallow Daybell shrugs after being handed docs about delivering up her kids, video shows