EDUCATION + SCHOOLS
Bus driver in Utah brings the joy of Christmas to students
Dec 22, 2022, 12:30 PM
HIGHLAND, Utah — The holidays are stressful, especially for student-teacher relationships. But one Utah school bus driver is helping kids feel festive rather than stress.
Scott Russell has been driving a bus for Freedom Elementary for years. He hopes to remind kids what the holidays are all about — joy.
This year he dressed as a train conductor and decorated his bus to resemble the “Polar Express,” a classic Christmas movie.
According to Freedom Elementary, Russell welcomed each of the students on his bus with a Polar Express ticket and a bell. The next day, he greeted them with hot cocoa and a candy cane.
“He does something like this every single holiday every single year,” said Russell’s daughter Riah.
Other locals in the area expressed their appreciation for the bus driver and his festivity. Jerie Murie Olsen works with Russell at Alpine School District.
“This man is incredible. He doesn’t just do the Polar Xpress for the kids. [Scott] also dresses up as Santa and gets out full-size candy bars that are wrapped,” said Olsen.
“He also dresses up on St. Patrick’s Day and Easter, and always has fun treats for the kids. My kids have [ridden] his bus before and absolutely love him.”
- Winter is officially here, what weather does Utah have ahead?
- About a quarter of Utahns delay in buying partner’s Christmas presents
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Two found dead after shooting at Cache County home
- Identities released of Hyrum couple found dead in their home
- Utah County Sheriff arrests driver accused in road rage deaths
- Seven months into Adderall shortage, expert offers advice
- Former Gov. Herbert on field of 2024 GOP presidential candidates
- Utah will loan first-time homebuyers $20,000 for new homes
- Man urges pet owners to be cautious around rivers after Oliver the dog was swept away
- Four Republicans on board to run for Utah’s 2nd Congressional District
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Weber, Box Elder, Davis, Tooele counties
- Lawmaker says Bible ban didn’t follow the law he helped create