One arrested for alleged involvement in apartment fires
PROVO, Utah — Ten fires within a five block radius have occurred between August 5 and now. All fires are under investigation and one suspect is facing charges that allegedly relate to involvement in two of them.
On Saturday, Dec. 25, Provo Police and fire department responded to a fire at The Centennial Apartments just before 5 a.m
Investigators found a lighter and paper near the fire located in the laundry room leading them to suspect arson.
Similarly, police responded to an additional fire around 6 a.m. Located at a duplex 300 feet away owned by the Centennial Apartments.
Contextually, investigators believe the fires were started almost simultaneously.
At this point police had already responded to a fire at Centennial Apartments on Dec. 5, where a tenants door and door mat were on fire and were able to escape.
As a result of the fire a tenant allegedly opened her windows for days, to a point where owners asked her to close them to protect against freezing.
The tenant, now identified as 19-year-old Calliope Mlynar, allegedly said she could not close her windows because her apartment smelled of chemicals and fire. However her apartment was on the other side of the building, opposite of the fire.
Further, fire investigators received word from the Centennial Apartment owner who explained tenants could only gain access to the laundry room where the fire occurred via key fab.
Key fab data showed Mlynar was the last person to access the laundry room.
After obtaining a search warrant, investigators allegedly found a lighter and burnt t-shirt in Mlynar’s apartment.
Mlynar is now at Utah County Jail where she faces two charges on suspicion of arson, a first degree felony under Utah law.
Today’s Top Stories
- Wildlife officials, troopers, maneuver large herd of elk away from I-80
- Pedestrian hit and killed by UTA Frontrunner
- Teachers at West High School walkout in of protest H.B. 215
- Suspects in custody, lockdown lifted after shots fired at Taylorsville High
- Large sinkhole shuts down portion of westbound 1500 North in Lehi
- Investigation of fatal accident at Provo airport includes witness statements
- Get Ready for Fun at the 2023 Bear Lake Monster Winterfest
- Fatal crash on Mountain View Corridor causes significant delays
- ChatGPT: Plagiarism super-tool for students or AI brainstorming generator?
- Utah resolution proposing Friday designation for Halloween celebrations advances