Government leaders sworn in for the new year
SALT LAKE CITY — A new year brings swearing in ceremonies and leadership in local, regional and state government.
SLC Council appointments
The Salt Lake City Council elected councilmembers Darin Mano and Victoria Petro to serve as the Council Chair and Vice Chair, respectively, for 2023.
Chair Mano represents District 5, home to 9th & 9th, Liberty Park and Smith’s Ballpark and has served since 2020.
“Last year, we made big changes to help improve housing affordability. I am excited to continue working on making Salt Lake City a place where anyone can thrive, regardless of circumstance, background, or income,” Mano said in a press release.
Vice Chair Petro, who joined the Council in 2021, represents District 1, which includes Rose Park, part of Fairpark and Salt Lake International Airport.
According to a press release, Petro sees sustainable and strategic development, with young and diverse communities in mind as one of the city’s “most notable areas of opportunity.”
“A decade of living on the Westside has given me a front-row view of how important it is to have active and equitable representation for communities brimming with opportunity,” said Vice Chair Petro in the release.
In Morgan County, newly-elected Corey Stark was sworn in as sheriff at the Morgan County Courthouse. Stark is a former deputy for the Weber County Sheriff’s Office.
Sheriff Kelly V. Sparks took the oath of office in Davis County. Sparks, a former sheriff’s office SWAT commander and chief deputy, was elected Sheriff in 2018.
Sheriff Steve Labrum was sworn in early this week for his second term as Uintah County Sheriff.
Grand County’s newly-elected Sheriff Jamison Wiggins was also sworn in this week.
- UTA swears in new Executive Director
- Election clerks in Utah say new law is pulling them from counting votes
- Summit County Sheriff nominated for post of District of Utah U.S. Marshal
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- Three vehicle crash in Sanpete County leaves one dead
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Engineer who refused to approve Challenger launch dies in Ogden
- Two Republicans voted against bill banning transgender-related surgery, here’s why
- Salt Lake City traffic stop leads to drug bust, illegal gun recovered
- More protests today after release of video depicting the deadly police beating of Tyre Nichols