EDUCATION + SCHOOLS
Alta High School evacuated after suspicous package found, determined non-explosive
Jan 4, 2023, 2:42 PM | Updated: Mar 28, 2023, 5:45 pm
SANDY, Utah — An evacuation of students and faculty took place at Alta High School Wednesday afternoon after a package containing suspicious contents was found.
Jeff Haney, an official with the Canyons School District, told KSL NewsRadio a former student of the school brought the package.
“We have these emergency protocols in place for a reason. So when there is a suspicious package on one of our campuses we’ll immediately evacuate to ensure the safety of our students and teachers. And we’ll immediately work with police to make sure our campus remains as safe as possible.” Haney said.
Also, Haney said that students partake in evacuation drills regularly throughout the school district.
The Sandy Police Department investigated the contents of the bag and determined it did not contain an explosive device.
“They were safely able to take it [the package] out of the building, and then followed all the procedures they needed to follow,” Haney said.
Parents picked up their children at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints located near campus.
Haney said some students were able to drive themselves home from the high school as well.
School and all activities were canceled for the day.
Furthermore, why the former student was on campus is still unknown.
This story will be updated.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Two found dead after shooting at Cache County home
- Utah County Sheriff arrests driver accused in road rage deaths
- Seven months into Adderall shortage, expert offers advice
- Former Gov. Herbert on field of 2024 GOP presidential candidates
- Utah will loan first-time homebuyers $20,000 for new homes
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Weber, Box Elder, Davis, Tooele counties
- Lawmaker says Bible ban didn’t follow the law he helped create
- Identities released of Hyrum couple found dead in their home
- Man urges pet owners to be cautious around rivers after Oliver the dog was swept away
- Four Republicans on board to run for Utah’s 2nd Congressional District