SLCPD: 13 juveniles charged in November incident at Gateway Mall
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City Police announced Friday that 13 individuals involved in an assault at the Gateway Mall have been taken into custody.
Police say on Nov. 25, an employee at a business at Gateway asked several people on skateboards to leave the area. Instead, police say a group of roughly 17 individuals turned on the employee.
Police say the suspects surrounded the employee, knocking him to the ground. Once on the ground, police further say, the employee was punched, kicked and stomped on. Additionally, skateboards were allegedly used to further harm the employee.
The suspects fled the scene before officers could arrive, according to a news release.
Detectives used surveillance video and other evidence in an attempt identify the suspects. However, that turned out to be unsuccessful.
With the assistance of the SLCPD’s Public Relations unit, a new strategic release of information was released to the public. Enough tips and information from that release were produced that detectives were able to take 13 of the 17 individuals into custody.
Police say all 13 suspects in custody are juveniles.
According to the news release, five of the suspects involved in the incident at the Gateway Mall have been charged with a Felony 2 Aggravated Assault and Felony 3 Riot. The other eight suspects have been charged with riot.
Today’s Top Stories
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Full-sized Target coming to former Dillard’s at Provo’s Towne Centre
- Home schools and micro-schooling defined under new Utah bill
- Biden to test run his reelection message in his first State of the Union to a divided Congress
- Utah hasn’t had this much snowfall since 2011, according to NWS
- Winning over Americans? Poll says President Biden has work to do
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Salt Lake City police arrest man after road rage incident, involving a gun
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Is illness or poor air quality causing that cough?