Flight departures halted across the United States due to FAA system outage
(CNN) — The United States was facing another major aviation disruption on Wednesday as the Federal Aviation Administration ordered a halt to all domestic flight departures after the system providing pilots with pre-flight safety notices went offline.
The FAA said in a statement it had ordered airlines to pause all domestic departures until 9 a.m. Eastern Time while it tried to restore its NOTAMS — or Notice to Air Missions — system.
“We are performing final validation checks and repopulating the system now,” an earlier FAA statement said. “Operations across the National Airspace System are affected. We will provide frequent updates as we make progress.”
The association representing US airlines, Airlines for America says the outage is “causing significant operational delays.”
United Airlines said it has temporarily delayed all domestic flights.
American Airlines said in a statement it is “closely monitoring the situation, which impacts all airlines, and working with the FAA to minimize disruption to our operation and customers.”
The NOTAMS system that is experiencing the outage provides “critical flight safety operation information,” the airline says.
Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg tweeted, ” I have been in touch with FAA this morning about an outage affecting a key system for providing safety information to pilots. FAA is working to resolve this issue swiftly and safely so that air traffic can resume normal operations, and will continue to provide updates.”
FlightAware, which tracks delays and cancellations, showed nearly 1,200 flights to, from and within the United States as being delayed as of 6:45 am ET, but only 93 flights canceled so far.
Commercial airline pilots use NOTAMS for real-time information on flight hazards and restrictions. The FAA stipulates NOTAMS are not to be relied on as a sole source of information, and so some flights may be able to satisfy safety requirements by using other data.
— This is a developing story. It will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Utah Senate passes transgender-related surgery ban for minors
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- Utah safety officials, NAACP, react to death of Tyre Nichols
- Two Republicans voted against bill banning transgender-related surgery, here’s why
- Speeches, silence, during Pro-Life Utah memorial at the Capitol
- Get Ready for Fun at the 2023 Bear Lake Monster Winterfest
- Three teens in custody after fight, shooting at Taylorsville High