Small fire set intentionally on Utah Capitol steps, suspect in custody
SALT LAKE CITY — Police arrested a man Thursday morning on suspicion of arson after police say he lit a fire on the steps of the Utah Capitol.
Salt Lake City Fire Department Captain Shaun Mumedy said authorities got the report early this morning.
“Crews responded but upon their arrival, the fire was already out. So it was pretty small in nature.”
Mumedy said the Utah Highway Patrol helped take the suspect, an adult man, into custody early this morning. According to Mumedy, the suspect could face arson charges.
“It appears to be intentionally set.”
Authorities are still investigating the case.
Today’s Top Stories
- Lockout lifted for Hunter High and Hunter Elementary Schools
- Home schools and micro-schooling defined under new Utah bill
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Full-sized Target coming to former Dillard’s at Provo’s Towne Centre
- Utah hasn’t had this much snowfall since 2011, according to NWS
- One dead after four-vehicles crash on U.S. Highway-40
- Lawyers say new Petito photos prove Moab Police ignored evidence of abuse
- Utah gas prices spike, Governor blames regional supply
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Utah snowpack at a 10-year-high