Proposed bill focuses exclusively on Utah teacher pay
SALT LAKE CITY — There are several bills focused on education in the 2023 Utah Legislative Session, including a bill that marries teacher pay with school choice. But one lawmaker is backing legislation aimed solely at teacher pay.
“I really felt strongly that the Opportunity Scholarship bill and teachers’ pay increase should not be the same bill,” said Romero.
If passed, Rep. Angela Romero will give teachers and other public school employees an extra $10,200 dollars a year.
“This is a number I thought that was fair based on inflation and everything else that is going on with our economy,” said Romero.
Romero says our teachers are worth the pay increase.
“Teachers are our lifeline and they are the people we send our children to every day,” Romero said.
Teachers deserve their pay increase and it shouldn’t be tied to any other bill. It should be its own bill, on its own merit and we need to have the discussion about why we need to pay our teachers more.”
Romero believes public funds belong in public schools and that’s why she created this separate bill. She also hopes House Bill 271 will pass and keep public money within public schools.
- School choice bill coming back in Utah’s 2023 legislative session
- Hotly debated school choice bill to be heard by Utah Senate
- Lawmakers denounce activist’s comments about ‘destroying public education’
Today’s Top Stories
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- More than 2,700 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- 2 arrested in central California shooting that left 6 dead, including mother clutching…
- Evacuations ordered amid fears of an explosion as an Ohio train continues burning days after…
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon