THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH
University of Utah reaches settlement with family of murdered student
SALT LAKE CITY— The University of Utah will pay $5 million to the family of a student who was murdered last February in 2022.
In a statement, the university said the settlement will go to the family of Zhifan Dong, who was allegedly murdered by her boyfriend in a Salt Lake City hotel.
Dong was a first-year student at the U of U from China.
As part of the settlement, the university will also create an on-campus memorial for Dong.
Haoyu Wang is still awaiting trial for murder charges in connection to Dong’s death.
According to arrest documents, the university got an email from Wang stating he had injected his girlfriend with heroin to “relieve her from suffering.”
Police pinged the victim’s phone to a hotel at 616 South 200 West, where they say they found Dong unresponsive and Wang also in the room with her.
According to documents, Wang told police he injected her with a high dose of heroin after she didn’t die from their initial intake of the drug.
He was charged with one count of murder and two counts of possession with intent to distribute.
Domestic Violence resources
- Utah Domestic Violence Coalition: Utah’s confidential statewide, 24-hour domestic violence hotline at 1-800-897-LINK (5465)
- YWCA Women in Jeopardy program: 801-537-8600
- Utah’s statewide child abuse and neglect hotline: 1-855-323-DCFS (3237)
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233
The Salt Lake City Police Department encourages anyone who has experienced domestic violence to call 799-3000. And ask to speak with a Victim Advocate or call their 24-hour hotline directly at 801-580-7969.
- University of Utah student accused of killing girlfriend formally charged
- UPDATE: Salt Lake City police identify woman found dead at Quality Inn hotel
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Rivers Council selling discounted rain barrels as effort toward water conservation
- Possible clothing thief at Brigham Young University
- 16-year-old dead, 2 other teens injured in fatal crash in Juab County
- Bruce Willis’ wife Emma Heming marks his birthday with moving message about grief
- Open house for Richmond Virginia Temple begins this week
- D2 gets to the bottom of the impending arrest of former President Trump
- Why a Trump indictment would have huge political and national implications
- When is the right age to retire?
- Shoplifting continues to grow nationally, facial recognition may help
- Semi hits car on I-15 in Kaysville, one person taken to hospital