CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Man in custody after alleged assault at West Valley City hotel
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — A 39-year-old male was taken into custody early Monday morning after police say he allegedly threatened a staff member of a hotel with a knife.
West Valley City Police arrived at the Holiday Inn, located at 3036 S. Decker Lake Blvd. just before 6 a.m. Once on scene, police were informed by another individual, who was about to leave, that the suspect got into his vehicle. The suspect who has been identified as Jeremy Boggess would not exit the vehicle.
According to the probable cause statement, Boggess was ultimately pulled out of the vehicle and onto the ground. The suspect tightened his body making it difficult to place him into handcuffs. Eventually, law enforcement personnel got him into custody.
Man sleeping in elevator of West Valley City hotel
Originally, officers were called to the hotel because Boggess had been found sleeping in the elevator. The hotel manager informed him that he needed to leave. However, the suspect said he wouldn’t leave and instead would go to another part of the hotel.
Eventually, the suspect became loud and caused a disturbance. The manager told him to leave and not come back.
Another individual informed the hotel manager that Boggess was trying to get into his car. According to the probable cause statement, Boggess, while holding a knife and motioning it towards the hotel manager, said “come and make me” while he continued to verbally threaten him with the knife.
Once Boggess was in custody, police searched him and found “a green leafy substance with wax, a crystal-like substance, two knives and drug paraphernalia,” the probable cause statement read.
The crystal-like substance tested positive for methamphetamine. It was in three baggies and weighed 7.6 grams.
After being read his rights, and consenting to speak with police, Boggess claimed that he did not recall anything that had happened.
Boggess was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail. He was booked for investigation of aggravated assault and transaction of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person. He was also booked for investigation of two counts of drug possession and one count of drug paraphernalia.
Read more: West Valley police searching for suspect in apartment stabbing
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Multiple Utah schools received fake reports of school shooting, officials say
- Additional sex charges filed against Utah businessman; more victims possible
- Three people killed in two-vehicle crash on US-89 in Logan Canyon
- Gwyneth Paltrow’s ski collision trial continues with defense
- Alpine School District exploring potential closure of 5 elementary schools
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- Prison sentence reduced for ‘Real Housewives of SLC’ star Jen Shah
- Provo Canyon closing intermittently to mitigate rock slides
- Seven Canyons Fountain will be ‘reimagined’ into dry art feature
- U.S. Department of Labor says Sodalicious violated child labor laws