POLITICS + GOVERNMENT
Romney to skip Saturday’s Republican Party State Convention
Apr 21, 2023, 10:48 AM
(Colby Walker KSL NewsRadio)
SALT LAKE CITY — The Republican Party State Convention takes place on Saturday, but one notable face will be missing. Senator Mitt Romney has opted to skip tomorrow’s event.
In political circles, it’s not a surprise. The senator did not attend last year either.
At past conventions, he’s faced booing from party delegates.
Republican delegates generally are not huge fans of the senator. It stems from his votes on President Trump’s impeachment. They don’t like that he went against Trump and his outward frustration with the former president.
“We wish we can have that relationship, and we want to have that relationship with all of our delegation,” said Party Chair, Carson Jorgensen.
“We want everybody to feel comfortable in the party, but at the end of all this, it’s the party platform that matters and it’s adhering to those standards that we define ourselves as Republican values.”
Jorgensen said he was not given a reason why Romney was not attending. According to Deseret News, Romney has a family commitment.
Governor Spencer Cox and the rest of the federal delegation are all slated to speak. Gov. Ron DeSantis was selected as the convention’s keynote speaker.
- Gov. Ron DeSantis will be keynote speaker at GOP convention next month
- Get to know the new likely chair of the Utah Republican Party
- Three Utah senators encourage Gov. DeSantis to run for president
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Video: Sugar House man notices sinkhole of “unknown depth” in front yard, at a…
- #BACONTOPAYSON: Payson High students pushing to get Kevin Bacon to prom
- Lake Powell bounces back from record-low water levels
- Car leaves roadway in North Ogden, crashes onto residential property
- Popular trail bridge at Zion National Park closes
- Utah Highway Patrol warns of scam callers pretending to be troopers
- Man killed in West Valley crash was visiting elderly neighbor
- Would you take a new rail line from SLC to Las Vegas, Boise or LA?
- Why are hikers dying in Buckskin Gulch?
- Lori Daybell’s defense team files for new murder trial