CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Charges filed in Salt Lake County against longtime elementary teacher
Apr 26, 2023, 5:30 PM | Updated: 5:36 pm
(Kristin Murphy/Deseret News)
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake County District Attorney’s office has filed a first-degree felony charge of aggravated sexual abuse of a child against elementary school teacher Jared Tichy.
According to District Attorney Sim Gill’s office, the young person reported this allegation.
“We applaud the young survivor that made the decision to speak up and report this allegation. It is difficult for anyone to have the courage to take this step, especially a child, ”said Salt Lake County District Attorney, Sim Gill.
“We’d like to thank the Salt Lake City Police Department for gathering the supportive evidence to screen and file charges for this alleged crime.”
According to charging documents, Tichy told Salt Lake City Police that he had been teaching elementary school for 19 years. He told police that he taught second grade at Edison Elementary from 2015 through 2017, and from 2019 to 2022.
This story is developing and will be updated.
- Lockdown protocols have been lifted for SLC elementary schools
- Salt Lake City shooting claims the life of teenage girl
- Multiple Utah schools received fake reports of school shooting, officials say
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Gov. Cox says he’s willing to call a special session to change Utah special election law
- Utah will loan first-time homebuyers $20,000 for new homes
- Kouri Richins family satisfied with partial gag order issued in case, says spokesman
- Two people killed in road rage crash near Eagle Mountain are identified
- Years before the attack on Pearl Harbor, Japan sank a US warship in China
- Witnesses report motorcycle passenger firing at silver car on NB I-15
- Man nearly drowns at Gunlock Falls
- Four killed, including toddler, after plane crashed in Virginia
- Salt Lake City police investigate after fatal overnight shooting outside of New Yorker night club